This post is part of SADYA VIBHAVANGAL – Learn to make the traditional Kerala Feast- An Artist’s Edible Palette !
Ingredients: - (Approx.)
- ½ cup roasted semiya/vermicelli
- 3 cups milk
- ¼ cup + 2tbsp sugar or To taste
- 1tbsp ghee
- 12-15 golden raisins
- 10 cashew nuts
- 2-3 whole cardamom pods
- 1/8 cup sweetened condensed milk (Optional)
- Boil milk in a saucepan and when it is fully boiling, add the roasted semiya/vermicelli slowly and keep stirring until it is evenly spread and floating individually in milk. Bring this to a boil and then add the sugar. Stir well to combine the sugar with the milk and semiya and again bring to a boil. Now reduce the heat and let it simmer in low flame until it starts to thicken. Add the condensed milk and stir for 4-5 minutes and when it reaches the required consistency, turn off the stove.
- Crush cardamom pods and pound the seeds and add this to Payasam when it is still hot.
- In a small shallow pan, heat ghee and fry golden raisins, until they begin to look like plump golden grapes; also fry the cashew nuts till they turn golden colour. Add this to payasam, when it is still hot. Serve warm or chilled.
Check out the recipe for Parippu Payasam/Pradhaman .