This post is part of SADYA VIBHAVANGAL – Learn to make the traditional Kerala Feast- An Artist’s Edible Palette !
- ½ cup Thuvara Parippu/toor dal or Cherupayattin parippu/ split moong dal
- 1 ½ cups water
- 2-3 Indian green chillies, slit opened lengthwise
- A small piece of ginger, thinly sliced
- 1 ½ tsp coconut oil
- 1 small sprig of curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- Wash dal/lentil thoroughly in water. Along with 1½ cups water, green chillies, ginger and salt, cook washed dal/lentil in a pressure cooker, in medium heat, until it is cooked and soft. For me it takes around 4-6 whistles. Please note that cooking time varies depending on the variety and brand of the Parippu/dal and pressure cooker.
- When the sizzling sound stops, open the pressure cooker and bring Parippu/dal/lentil to boil immediately. Adjust salt; crush some curry leaves into the coconut oil and pour it to the dish and stir well and remove from the stove. Serve with a drop of ghee/clarified butter.