This post is part of SADYA VIBHAVANGAL – Learn to make the traditional Kerala Feast- An Artist’s Edible Palette !
- ¼ cup Vanpayar/red cowpeas, soaked overnight
- 2 cups Kumbalanga/ ash-gourd/winter melon, chopped into small pieces
- 2-3 green chillies
- 1 cup thin coconut milk
- ¼- ½ cup thick coconut milk
- ¾ -1 cup water
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 2 dry red chillies
- 1 sprig of curry leaves
- 2-3 small red-pearl onions/shallots, thinly sliced
- Pressure-cook Vanpayar/red cowpeas with ¾ cup water and a dash of salt till soft.
- When the sizzling sound stops, open the pressure cooker and add the chopped Kumbalanga/ ash-gourd/winter melon and green chillies and cook till the vegetable is soft. Add water if required, while cooking. Now add thin coconut and bring to a boil and let it simmer for few minutes, until it thickens a bit. Then add the thick coconut milk and bring it to a boil quickly; do a taste-test and adjust the salt and turn off the stove.
- In another shallow pan, heat oil, splutter mustard seeds, dry red chillies tear off some curry leaves and add the sliced onion and sauté till the onions turn pink. Turn off the stove and pour it to the dish and gently blend it.
- Let it stand for atleast an hour before serving as it takes time to get all the flavours together.