I have been carrying my emotional virtual-knapsack for quite some time, forcing you to read and making you traverse down my memory lane.….thought today I will leave the knapsack behind for sometime…..or is it a better way of saying, I am going through some sort of ‘blogger’s block’ and really don’t know what to write?? !! :)
Well, Susan of The Well-Seasoned cook and Cynthia of Tastes Like Home have tagged me to write my first Meme, The “IT” girl- 7 Random Facts About Me. It sounds easy but not for me!! Anyway, I will write some ME facts paired with some foodie facts as well:
- Gluttony.com – Yes, probably it’s the best name that suits me and I have been blessed with this name by one of our professors! In college, we used to have seminar and assignment discussions with our guide in the evening, after the college hours which used to extent till late evening; one day he offered us some cakes and there was one last piece left….everyone was reluctant to grab that piece except me and that moment he blessed me with the name “Aakrantham.com” aka gluttony.com :) In my defense, I was damn hungry that evening!
- Phobia.com – Maths phobia!!!! I still don’t know how I passed my Mathematics and Statistics exams. I was sitting in the first class of entrance coaching for the Masters program and unfortunately it was a mathematics class…..towards the end of the class, the coach came and asked softly, "do you have some maths phobia?" !!! Wonder how he figured out that in less than an hour……must be because of the strange look on my face!!! :P
- Best friend of chocolate lovers – because I don’t like chocolates : D
- An average cook and I do not own a single cookbook - the recipes I have blogged so far are collected from my family and friends….I am not very innovative when it comes to cooking….an average cook……if given a chance I will take a deviation en route to kitchen ….if Mummy is at home, one can never spot me anywhere near the cooking area…..I started taking cooking with some genuine interest only because of CJJ who loves to eat :)
- Cannot resist pizza ads –…for that matter, I cannot resist any food temptation…..!
- Scared of snakes - close my eyes even when I see a picture of ‘em….it’s almost a reflex action for me :(
- Do not like those red signals when behind the wheels :)
Orange Delight is a creamy dessert with a light tangy taste which may not make a very good ‘first impression’ at the first spoonful but from the second one, you will get hooked on to it. We couldn’t stop with just one cup :) Recipe follows:
Ingredients for Orange Delight: (Serves 6-8)
- 1 1/2 cups of orange juice (I used Tropicana-no pulp)
- 1 1/2 tbsp unflavored gelatin
- 1 can (14oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup of whipped cream
- ¼ tsp orange rinds
- Orange cups for serving (Optional)
Soak the gelatin in orange juice and then stir continuously until it dissolves thoroughly. Whip the cream until it doubles in quantity and reaches a creamy consistency. Add sweetened condensed milk to the cream, and then pour the orange juice and orange rinds and mix well very gently. Chill for 8-10 hours and serve in orange cups or small dessert bowls.
Preparing the Orange cups:
After squeezing out the juice from halved oranges, instead of throwing it in the trash, collect and keep them. Remove all the pulp left and clean the inside neatly and sprinkle some sugar on the insides and refrigerate them and fill these cups with Orange Delight and chill before serving to your guests.
Note: One of our friends has tried replacing the canned/bottled orange juice with fresh orange juice and the taste was not very impressive and hence bottled orange juice is recommended for better results.
Orange Ice Bowls
2 stainless steel bowls (One should fit inside the other with ½ inch to 1 inch between them)
Some green herbs (optional)
Ice cubes and water
These are my entries for this month’s AFAM, hosted by a passionate cook and a fellow blogger, Sharmi of Neivedyam
There is another very interesting blog event, Centerpiece of the Month, hosted by Janelle of Talk of Tomatoes. Orange Ice Bowl is my contribution to this excellent idea of hers, encouraging the fellow bloggers to come up with novel and unique centerpieces every month.
* The idea of using Citric/fruit cups and Ice bowl is adapted from Martha Stewart Living